Frequently Asked Questions

Bed Bug Information

Q: What does Extended Housing do?
A: Extended Housing provides safe, decent and affordable housing to persons with severe and persistent mental illness, including the homeless, and those at imminent risk of being homeless.  We continue as the community housing acquisition, renovation, management, and maintenance agency for the Lake County Mental Health System.

Q: What areas do you serve?
A: Extended Housing serves residents of Lake County who suffer from a severe and persistent mental illness, including the homeless and those at imminent risk of being homeless.

Q: What types of housing assistance does Extended Housing provide?
A: Extended Housing provides long term and temporary subsidized housing; emergency one-time-only funds for security deposits, rent to avoid eviction.  Extended Housing also owns and manages 18 properties throughout Lake County.

Q: How does someone qualify for assistance through Extended Housing?
A: For most of our programs, individuals (or members of their family) must have a documented mental illness and have low income to qualify. Extended Housing programs have different sets of eligibility criteria. Please see our Program Descriptions for more information.

Q: What qualifies as a severe or persistent mental illness?
A: Our programs require documentation by appropriate mental health professionals, such as psychologists, psychiatrists or mental health nurse practitioners. Extended Housing’s mission is to serve individuals with severe or persistent mental illness, including but not limited to, bipolar, schizophrenia, severe mental health disorders, and those who are mentally ill and have drug and alcohol abuse disorders.

Q: How can someone apply for assistance through Extended Housing?
A: Applications for most of our programs are available on our Resources page on our website.  You can also pick up an application at our office.

Q: Are any documents needed along with applications?
A: Applicants should provide the following documents for all household members if they are able: birth certificates, social security cards, proof of income (or notarized statement of no income), photo identification, and documentation of mental illness.  Assistance can be provided in obtaining these documents if necessary. See our Program Descriptions page for more information.

Q: Can someone come to Extended Housing to pick up or drop off an application?
A: Yes.  Applications can be mailed to or dropped off and picked up at our office at 270 E. Main St, Suite 300, Painesville, Ohio. map

Q: Do you have a waiting list?
A: Housing subsidies have waiting lists. It can take up to three years or longer to access housing because of funding availability and the shortage of affordable housing. Some programs may be available immediately.  Please see the Program Descriptions section for more information.

Q: Do participants need a case manager or social worker in order to qualify for your programs?
A: Housing subsidies do not require a case manager.  Please read the Program Descriptions section for more information.  There is one program which is by referral only, and participants must have a case manager.

Q: How much rent do clients pay when they are accepted into an Extended Housing subsidized housing program?
A: Clients pay between 30-40% of their adjusted gross monthly income (which includes SSI, TANF, employment, child support, etc.) towards rent and utilities.

Q: Do you accept someone into your program if they have no income?
A: Yes, but Extended Housing needs to verify this information. Clients must sign a notarized statement of no income and, for some programs, Extended Housing performs 3rd Party Verification checks. Please be aware that most Extended Housing programs require clients to work towards self-sufficiency goals, which means clients must apply for all eligible income sources and/or entitlements or be involved in an educational or training program.

Q: Where can participants live if they have a voucher for an Extended Housing program?
A: Clients choose their own housing unit from a private landlord in Lake County who accepts a housing subsidy. Extended Housing also owns 18 scattered site properties located throughout Lake County.

Q: Can a landlord refuse to accept a rental subsidy program?
A: Yes, every landlord has the right to not accept rental subsidy vouchers. However, Extended Housing works with nearly 100 landlords throughout Lake County who accept Extended Housing vouchers and who will lease to tenants in our programs.

Q: Are landlords allowed to inquire about a person’s mental illness?
A: No, Fair Housing Laws forbid landlords from asking or discriminating against people with disabilities.  For more information regarding Fair Housing Law please click here.

Q: Can a significant other (not a spouse) live with someone enrolled in an Extended Housing program?
A: Yes, clients may request to add a significant other adult to their household, however, this will not increase their approved number of bedrooms. The total household income will be counted toward the rent payment. For household composition and income requirements, please refer to our Program Descriptions page.

Q: Does Extended Housing offer any rent to own programs, or can Extended Housing help someone buy a home?
A: No, Extended Housing does not have any services to assist in purchasing a home. If you are interested in home ownership, you may contact Lake Metropolitan Housing Authority for more information.

Q: Are there other housing resources available in Lake County?
A: Yes, please see our Links section for more information.

Q: What can I do if I have a complaint or concern about an Extended Housing employee?
A: If you are a client currently enrolled in an Extended Housing program, find out more information about Clients Rights.  All others may contact our main office at 440-352-8424 and ask for the appropriate supervisor.

Q: I am a case manager…Can I send my client to Extended Housing to fill out a housing application?
A: Yes, however the application can not be turned in until the Certification of Disability page is filled out and signed by a psychiatrist, psychologist, or nurse practitioner (from a mental health agency – pertains to nurse practitioner only).  If a client needs to come to the Extended Housing office to speak to a housing coordinator, we prefer that appointments be scheduled with the appropriate staff.

Q: What happens when a participant’s income changes?
A: Rent portions are affected by both increases and decreases to a household’s income. Extended Housing must be informed immediately of any income changes. Clients may be subject to retroactive paybacks or termination if income increases are not immediately reported.

Q: Can a client be hospitalized or incarcerated without losing their Extended Housing subsidy?
A: A client can be hospitalized (or admitted to an inpatient treatment center) for up to 90 days or incarcerated for up to 30 days without losing the Extended Housing subsidy.  Exceptions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

Q: Do units subsidized by Extended Housing have to be inspected?
A: Extended Housing programs require initial and annual inspections. Extended Housing only subsidizes units that can pass HUD’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS), which are minimum requirements. Tenants cannot move into units or sign a lease until a unit passes HQS. In addition, tenants must attend annual re-certification appointments and must provide information about family composition, income, assets, and allowances and deductions in order to remain eligible for the program.

Q: What if a landlord isn’t properly maintaining the unit or is neglecting his or her duties as a landlord?
A: Extended Housing encourages all subsidy recipients to work closely with the landlord and an Extended Housing Coordinator to resolve all problems with their unit.

Q: What if a tenant isn’t properly maintaining the unit or is neglecting his or her duties as a tenant?
A: Landlord’s should contact Extended Housing immediately if there are issues with tenant’s maintaining their unit.

Q: Can clients transfer their services to another case manager and/or agency?
A: Yes, Extended Housing must be updated on all service transfers and cancellations.

Q: Where can I find more information about Extended Housing?
A: Please feel free to browse our website and if you should need more information, please call us at 440-352-8424.