Landlord F.A.Q.

Q: What do I have to do to accept rental assistance from Extended Housing, Inc.?
A: The process begins once a client is interested in your property. Prospective tenants will give Extended Housing, Inc. a landlord’s name and, with permission from the tenant, staff will contact the landlord. Staff will communicate with the landlord about matters such as the inspection requirements and rental amounts, and inform the landlord about program rules that need to be adhered to.

Q: Where can an owner inquire about participating in the programs offered by Extended Housing, Inc.?
A: Please call the director of housing services at 440-352-8424 ext. 111.

Q: Does Extended Housing, Inc. pay for additional fees such as parking, key deposits, or application fees?
A: No, the tenant is responsible for paying these fees.

Q: Who does the tenant pay their portion of the rent to?
A: The landlord.

Q: Will you give out my phone number and address to my tenant?
A: A contact number for the landlord will need to be given to the tenant. The only address shared with the tenant will be the address to which rent will be mailed.

Q: How soon will I receive payment for my first month’s rent and security deposit?
A: Payment will be mailed within 7 business days of our office receiving a copy of the signed lease.

Q: When should I expect to receive the monthly subsidy payment from Extended Housing, Inc.?
A: By the fifth of each month.

Q: Who do I contact if I do not receive a check from Extended Housing, Inc. when expected?
A: If your check has not been received by the tenth of the month, call the fiscal department at 440-352-8424 ext. 121; please have your tenant’s name and address readily available.

Q: What if my tenant is unable to pay their portion of the rent due to a decrease or loss of income?
A: Rent can be recalculated by Extended Housing, Inc. with proof on loss of income. The tenant needs to notify Extended Housing, Inc. of this change and supply proper documentation immediately.

Q: What do I do if there are damages to my property when the tenant moves out?
A: You will deduct the damages from the security deposit. You must send the tenant documentation and invoices to verify the amount withheld from the security deposit. Extended Housing, Inc. would also like to receive a copy.

Q: How does Extended Housing, Inc. determine how much rent should be paid for my unit?
A: Extended Housing, Inc. calculates the rent based on an annual Fair Market Rates publication issued by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Many factors go into determining the rent reasonable amount, including number of bedrooms, included utilities, and location.

Q: How long does it take for a tenant to move in with an Extended Housing, Inc. voucher?
A: The timeline for tenant move in and the first subsidy payment depends on several factors, including how long it takes for a unit to pass inspection, how quickly repairs are completed, how quickly tenant and landlord complete paperwork. Some tenants are able to begin the program within a day, while others may take up to two weeks or longer.

Q: What are the housing standard requirements Extended Housing, Inc. staff use when inspecting a housing unit?
A: Please refer to the Housing Quality Standards inspection form Extended Housing, Inc. utilizes.